Bill -

I took your advice to repair the bent / crushed pipes on my heater core. It was too easy! Thanks for giving me the encouragement to make the repair.

I gently drove a deep 3/8" socket into the pipes to round the ends and to remove the dents. Then pecked on the pipes with the socket inside to finish the job. I polished up the tips to make sure that nothing was hiding under the oxidation. I sat the heater core in a pail of water and puffed a little air pressure into it. No bubbles.

I'll connect the hoses to the pipes with flat spring clamps instead of the gear driven clamps that I used before. The spring clamps are in the pics below. Not looking for a lot of heat with my 160deg thermostat, but at least antifreeze won't be dripping onto my wife's foot.

These pics are a pretty dramatic change from the pics in my original post:
> Crushed pipe repaired
> Pipes repaired end view
> Pipes repaired
> Pipe repair in progress



- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all