The 1954 Harrison AirFlow heater in my '54 3104 occationally drips a few drops. Enough to make a small puddle on the floor mat. The water drips from the heater case. Doesn't happen every time I drive the truck. I pulled it out today. Can you help me diagnose the problem and guide me toward a fix?
Here's my two-part diagnosis. What's your opinion?
1) I believe that the leak is at the pipe on the core that connects to the hose to the Ranco valve. The pipe has a crush-dent in it. Perhaps the leak travels down the pipe to the core and falls into the heater case, then drips onto the floor mat.
2) I suppose that the rebuilt Ranco valve is randomly opening to supply water to the hose and to the crushed pipe. Don't know if the valve is defective, or if my 160deg thermostat doesn't warm the water enough to the valve for normal operation. The heater doesn't blow hot.
>>> How can I make the crushed pipe(s) round again?
>>> What is your diagnosis of my dripping heater?
>>> How can I test the core and the Ranco valve?
I saw the crushed pipe when I cleaned and painted the heater a few years ago, but "hoped" that it wouldn't cause a problem. I can't see any traces of antifreeze in the core. The water/antifreeze in the engine and radiator is completely clean. No rust at all.
PHOTOS:
> PIC - Crush-dent on Heater Core> PIC - Both pipes, top view> PIC - Both pipes 3/4 view> PIC - Pipes and Core side A> PIC - Pipes and Core side B> PIC - Ranco ValveThanks for your guidence.