real55,
Red58 has explained the "disproportionate" number of Advance-Design vs Task-Force trucks: more A-D trucks were made during a longer series-time-span.
What are the wider variety of Task Force models (Bill explained this misconception)? Maybe the long-bed 1/2 ton Task Force? But, there was no Task Force Canopy Express.
What would you consider to be better designed mechanics?
12v electrical system (even though that is not mechanics)? OK, maybe brighter lights.
Better engine lubrication system? OK, until 1954 A-D.
V-8 engine? OK, no contest.
Better mechanical components in drive-train? Not really, just open drive-shaft (that came in late A-D, and was not really better, just easier to work on and was probably cheaper to manufacture).
Better steering, better wheels, better suspension, better cooling. Not really.
Task Force and Advance-Design, I like them both; but, if I had a Task Force truck, it would have to have an original V-8 (variety is the spice of life). Of course, that would mean that I'd not have a real stovebolt engine.