Good advice,Mike! That's the procedure I used when i initially got my T.F.'55 6500 running. But then...after driving on a rough road for less than 1/4-mile, the engine sputtered and died. i already replaced the fuel filter,as well as a new fuel-pump. Hmmm. The last thing checked was the gas tank. I pulled the sending-unit,and couldn't believe the rust scale! I bought a new tank,as well as new fuel lines. Our old engines were designed to operate with zinc in the oil,which these days,are hard to find. I suggest dropping the oil pan,and inspect for metal-shavings,as well as wiping out the sludge build-up. this will keep your oil cleaner,longer. I use Valvoline Z-series racing-oil,the ONLY oil on the market with zinc added. It helps save our solid lifters,and cam-lobes from pre-mature wear,especially during break-in. I also add a pint of ZDD oil additive,at each oil change. Better to be safe than sorry. Welcome to "Stovebolt"! I no longer own a G.M.C.,but THE BEST 3/4-tonner,I ever owned,was a '65, with a 305 V-6,2-speed "Slushbox"(automatic trans.),with a 4:11 posi rear-end. it came with these huge 16" "Camper-Special' tires,and I pulled a FULLY-Loaded semi-out of a ditch with it,and it was 2-wheel drive!! One heck of a truck!! Happy New Year,EVERYONE!

Last edited by wetwilly5757; 01/01/2013 11:06 PM.

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.