This is all good information. I'm going to go at it again and this time will try to do everything exactly as the manual says. A few questions:
When checking for freeplay in the worm gear, what do you do? Get in the cab and pull up on the steering wheel? That is the only way I can see to check it. Why do you suppose I was never able to get any freeplay in the worm gear no matter how much I backed the screw out?
Same question for checking freeplay in the sector gear. Do you check at the steering wheel inside the cab or is there some other way to check? Since the Pittman arm will be off, there isn't really anything you can move to check for freeplay, is there?
And the last question: What do you guys use to turn the huge screw at the worm gear end? I was using the end of a prybar, which was OK, but I'd like to find something better.
By the way, I do have a fish scale and was using it for the adjustment.

Last edited by joeflanagan; 03/23/2012 4:49 PM.

1956 Chevy 3200