Excellent way of describing and engine noise Gus a big thumbs up to ya.
All to often we here people try to describe a noise by the written word and we all have
different interpretations of what it might sound like. It’s like trying to describe a color or
smell. One of our members was asking about a loose heat riser valve yesterday. How
loose is loose and how would you describe the problem?
Some years ago I brought up the idea that someone looking for a project should make
an audio/video of engine sounds. I think a CD would really sell if it was well done.
Take a good engine and maladjusted the valves or replace a good piston or rod or main
bearing with a bad one to show what these sounded like. A rod knock or piston slap or
loose wrist pin or clunking main bearings are hard to describe to most people but a good
audio of them would really clear the air. A good example is the previously mentioned
loose heat riser, if its just a little puffing from the shaft then its no problem and an
audio/video of that would say it with one look & listen.

Thanks Gus, I wish I knew how to manipulate those videos, I’d be using them in my
replies for sure.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 01/30/2012 1:31 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL