Originally Posted by Super55
....That's why I refused to buy any with tires on them. I never did find any...
The used wheels were affordable, but shipping would have cost more than the rims. If I got them home and they were crap, I would be out a lot of $$$$.

This is a very believable and understandable situation, here's why:
1- Used 20" wheels are cheap/not worth much to start with.
2- So for anyone selling them there is no incentive to spend more money/effort than they're worth to remove old tires, and then dispose of the tires.....

When I sell old wheels I'll only remove tires if the buyer pays the tire shop to do so. I'm no good at it and it's not worth it to me for what the wheels sell for, it's pretty simple.

The solution if you want old wheels bad enough is to negotiate a price for what they are as they are and take your chances like everyone else does.
Eventually with enough sweat and piles of old rims and tires you'll get what you need.
No one said it'd be easy did they?

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-