This is why I never paint myself into a corner: IE, never let a fresh engine sit more than 3 months.

This is also why I use the engine assy lube on the wrist pins, bearings, timing chain, etc. The engine assy lube and the heavy cam lobe lube won't run off the engine parts in a few months. Ditto for use of WD-40 and 30wt during piston/ring installation. I also fog the inside of the crankcase with WD-40 to prevent flash rusting while sitting on the stand.

I try not to let a fresh engine sit, and I try not to turn it over very much. Turning a fresh engine over a lot will wipe the break-in lube off the lobes.

Was this engine really hot when it seized? Was the oil pressure really high? I once built a '54 235 with the main bearings too tight. The oil pressure was off the 60 psi scale, and the engine boiled over in a few minutes. That was all she wrote, the main bearings were toast. eek

I've heard of a 235 that was rebuilt, and stored in a workshop. Unfortunately, the frame was sandblasted in the same workshop. Guess what ruined the bearings?


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes