Thanks for all the info guys, to refresh the info:
It sat outside undercover for 4 months while I was finishing the frame, it was Nov-Mar. I drill drove the oil pump until oil flowed out of the rockers. static timed the motor added a bit of gas to the carb trying to prime a fuel pump, (that I now know is dead), I started right up, ran for 30 seconds and died (with good oil pressure on the guage), I went thru the process of doing this 3-4 times trying to get it to run on a jury riggrd fuelcan downstream of the pump and each time it stopped when the carb ran dry. The next time on attempt to start it wouldn't turn over, pulled plugs suspecting hydrolock, no excess fuel, boroscoped each cylinder suspecting flash rust jamming rings, but bores ok. The machine shop that assembled the short block is no longer in business, so it sits in a dry garage 6-7 years til now. I have bought a 1954 chev. 235 cid as a spare if there is anything
terminal on the original motor. I hopefully will be installing a hoist next month and plan to pull the pan to see whats wrong, I don't think the starter is the problem as it is a footpedal actuated starter, my best guess is a timing gear problem, cam/crank/rod bearing or siezed wrist pin. also the bypass oil filter was not hooked up as the hoses were missing and engine ran fine before the rebuild. when I find out what is wrong
(soon!) you gentlemen will be the first to Know.
Thanks again for all the input, Dave smile


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos