Denny -

There are two identical rubber bumpers. The head is flat, less than 1/4" diam. The "tail" is pointed to stick through an approx 1/8" hole. There is a detent between the head and the tail that holds it in the hole. The entire bumper is less than 3/8" long.

One is located in the center of the edge of the defroster door. You can barely see the tail in this picture. (About 10:00 o'clock behind the motor) I can load the pic in higher resolution onto PhotoBucket if you want.

The other bumper is on a tab inside the heater case. The tab limits the travel of the defroster door. You can see it in this pic from Deve Krehbiel's site.

This is his description:
"In this picture and inside the main housing is a small rubber bumper. This picture shows the direction that bumper needs to be reinstalled in. You want to take great care and use unusual finesse in removing this bumper. It is not available through any of our vendors. It will need to be removed for the re-painting process."

FYI, I removed one of the bumpers, and masked off the other one because I was afraid that I would break the old rubber. They aren't really needed, however a dab of silicone or hot-melt glue could substitute for a missing bumper if you feel the door will rattle against the case.

Re: paint. Deve's Hammerite paint job was a lot smoother than mine. Pics near the end of his description of his heater rebuild.

Can't help you re: rubber plug for the keyhole under the seat. Mine doesn't have one. Didn't see one in the Assembly Manual. I've been following your radio knob saga. I know that your knobs and plug will turn out perfect!

Unfortunately, you and I both suffer from the incurable "picky detail" gene!

Good luck.

Last edited by LonnieC; 05/05/2011 4:52 AM.

- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all