Do you have a picture of that rubber bumper you mentioned Lonnie??? I’ve given up on restoring my trucks, I’m to busy trying to reproduce some of the parts. I’ll pile them all in the back of the pickup for the next guy that gets it. I’m working on a rubber plug for that keyhole under the seat of the ‘54s. No one has a replacement and I’m sure there was one in there when it came from the factory although I‘ve never seen one.
It taint your painting technique, the canned hammer tone that we buy from Hammerite and Rustoleum both use something to keep the paint from forming in those areas. I was told that it had silicone in it but that goes against everything that I've ever heard regarding silicone and paint. I've got WAY to many irons in the fire right now but one day I would like to try and thin out the hammer tone paints and see if it can be sprayed thinner in order to eliminate the lumps and bumps. I’m not real sure that “hammertone” is the correct description for the paint pattern on the heaters. I colleted and restored antique tube radios for a while and they came up with some really wild paint effects. And no one has any idea how they got it to do what it did. They wrinkled paint so heavy that it almost looked like it was wrinkled paper and like the GM heater paint, some of the variegated paints were really unique.
DG