I think you need to take the advice thats been offered, cause until you do you will do the same.
Woody had sound advice when he said practice on something until you get the paint to lay down right.

You can't paint over a surface that already has orange peel and expect good results.
The gun adjustments play a big part, and you need to adjust the gun for the mix you have and the temp the day you shoot.
Look at the fan the gun is putting out,give something a blast and look at surface you blasted, is it even, is it too dry or what.
Many years ago, when I first started painting I was afraid to mess with the gun adjustments for fear of messing things up....only to find out it was necessary because conditions change every time you paint.

Now I can shoot a 6 in wide fan, a big fan, shoot it dry, shoot it wet, what ever I want.

It just takes practice, which is what you need, cause you're sure going to get tired of sanding, plus that sandpaper ain't cheap anymore.

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles