David, I'm sorry I didn't look at it your way, but then I'm not paying 500 bucks a gal for paint, and then I look at at wet sanding as a drag and don't enjoy it much.

What you said made me wonder why you want to throw all that expensive paint away, meaning when you sand it off it's gone.

When adjusting the gun, here's what I do. To start...big area to paint, big fan out of the gun,so I adjust air to make a big fan, then I open or increase the paint supply to match the fan to make it wet enough so when it hits the surface it can lay out smooth.

If you don't adjust it wet enough it will be shooting dry and of course when it hits the surface won't be able to lay out and then you will have orange peel for a finish.

I shoot at about 1 foot away, closer sometimes but if I'm closer then I have to increase the speed of the sweep across what I'm painting.
The other thing that's important is lighting so you can see what your doing and how the paint is laying out, cause only the best painters can do it in the dark !

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles