Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman
...a 5.17:1 gear. Does that sound right? If it could be, then I would be happy as that is in the range of OK for the diesel conversion I would like to do....

Even with an OD and 40" tires 5.17 sounds way to slow for a diesel conversion.

For example I've got a 0.80 OD, 38" tires, and 3.54 gears (may later want 3.73), for sure not 5.17.

But it all depends on the engine you choose and how fast you want to go (or can go) with how much of a load.
Try a gear calculator like this to plan what ratios and combinations may work well.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/bigger_tires.htm

Have any more details on what conversion you have planned?

Grigg



•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-