For example I've got a 0.80 OD, 38" tires, and 3.54 gears (may later want 3.73), for sure not 5.17.
But it all depends on the engine you choose and how fast you want to go (or can go) with how much of a load.
Try a gear calculator like this to plan what ratios and combinations may work well.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/bigger_tires.htmHave any more details on what conversion you have planned?
Grigg
Grigg
The comment that the 5.17 gears would be OK with the diesel is based on the fact that I have the brownie box with the overdrive, either .86 or better yet .74. Even with a 6.17 it wouldn't be too bad, the gear calcs are in the above post.
As far as the rest of the conversion goes, I am looking at the Cummins 12 Valve with the NV4500 trans. The stock axles and brakes will most likely get rebuilt and stay in place. A question I had in my first post was about the possibility of some sort of powersteering conversion or add on ram assist, I'm still looking for any Ideas here.
The last thing I would like to do is build a rollback flat bed for it like modern tow trucks have. I really don't think that this would be too hard to do, either by buying a used one or even starting from scratch. I am leaning toward starting from scratch as I would really like the bed to look like something out of the proper era, ie. wood deck and a period looking headache rack. We will see.
Thanx for your input Grigg, you have been very helpful with your wealth of knowledge.
Jaysin