The P30's with 5/10 lugs are typically rated in the 14,000 lb range, in comparison to our stock 16,000 lb. Not sure what the 80 version is rated over the 70HD, but I figured I'd be just fine for my use of hauling and towing stuff with the newer axle combo.
I agree that the next larger newer axles available are a half a size to large.

Before completely dismissing the axle narrowing consider the size of the stock I-beam, and the size of the new P-30 axle beam. Wish I had a section of the stock axle to show beside the section of the new one, but it is about twice the size. I feel that with a good welding job and the added factor of safety from the larger physical size it's still an acceptable method.

Yes the 4-53T is large, but height is no problem, inner fenders may suffer some trimming, and I know I need to widen the depression in the fire wall, but pretty sure don't need to make it any deeper. It'll be some work I'm sure, and I'll just have to do it, never said or implied my swap/project was an easy one, but it is the one I want.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-