> edit to the original post:
> Thanks Bolters for identifying the Road Tube Vent Hole for me on the block!
> Please skip down a few replies now, and help me identify this vent hole of some kind
> on the front driver's side of the bell housing in front of the flywheel:
> http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/macx/DSCI0083.jpg
>

I'm new to stovebolt engines. The engine and the transmission in the '53 3100 my son and I just bought look from the outside like they have been somewhat professionally rebuilt... I'm going on the assumption that internally they are put back together and rebuilt. But the externals didnt quite get put all the way back together before I bought it...

This is not the original 216 from this 53. The engine is a 1956 235. Dont know yet if the transmission is original or goes with the 56 or is something else... gonna start with the engine though.

The distributer, coil, generator, wiring... All that I can handle. But there is a hole just behind and above the fuel pump... here is a picture of it...

Is this for a freeze plug?

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/macx/DSCI0082.jpg

The short story on this truck: the grandson of the original owner started the restore. Got to where he needed money more than the truck and sold it to a friend. That fella worked on it some, had it for I dont know how long, but after paying rent on a storage garage and not touching it for a year he was ready to take his losses too. So my son and I picked it up, and we're gonna give it a go: http://s853.photobucket.com/albums/ab100/macx/

The body is worth what we paid for it, but I'm hoping that this rebuilt 6 is just raring to go with good compression once I get the spark and the fuel and the timing into her... But since I dont know my way around this engine yet, I dont know how to spot whats missing... After I get this hole figured out, I'll post a picture of another hole on the front of the bell housing of the transmission... that one looks like a freeze plug hole too, but its not in the engine block, so I'm confuzed...

Last edited by MacX; 11/06/2009 7:54 PM.

1953 Chevy 3100
Father and Son project
In the Stovebolt Gallery
46 GMC 303 1.5T