My 59 went out of the garage today for a shakedown run after getting it all done. New wiring harness for the restoration. 6 cylinder with stock gauges and foot stomp starter. The truck has been running off and on in the driveway for about a week while I got things sorted out but today was the first trip down the back road.
Came home, turned the key off and parked but did not disconnect the battery as I usually do when it is going to sit. About 2 hous later, I saw smoke in the cab and under the hood!! I quickly pulled the battery cable and let the smoke out and took a look.
The wire that runs from the footstomp terminal direct to the ammeter gauge was RED HOT and no insulation left. The tape had melted and the ammeter gauge was black from the melting of the terminals on the back. Discolored the metal on the back of the gauge it got so hot. Some melted insulation (minor)on the outside of a couple other dash wires where they were touching the ammeter/foot stomp wire. The wire that leaves the ammeter going out under the hood was NOT heated so it shorted dead at the gauge from the foot stomp terminal.
I was VERY LUCKY the truck did not burn up as it was really shorted good. Now as I try and determine what could have happened I am looking for some ideas.
Seems that short was either at the footstomp terminal or the back of the gauge but I am guesing that since it took a couple hours to get fired, I may have been heating up for a while. When I came home, I restarted the truck once when it stalled and pushed the footstomp accidently right after it started but only momentarily? I would not think that would cause such a delay reaction. The ammeter was working prior to the meltdown. I wonder if they can go bad enough to short dead like it did. Power wire to the ignition switch was good and also unaffected.
What a mess. Melted tape and insulation and my brand new harness now is in need of some serious inspection and repair. Pretty scary and I sure do not want to see that smoke again. By the way the truck ran perfectly for the short run. I guess I just live right.....