Dennis,
I will be interested in what you determine. I have not been able to rule out the ammeter doing the Crazy Ivan on me but it seems strange as it is designed to pass the current. If it wasn't for the fact that it took a couple of hours to happen I would not be so amazed. But the bubbling of the insulation plastic on the INSIDE of the case as well as the heat discolor of the rear of the case sure indicates that the heat from grounding was right at the case. I know I had no direct ground when I hooked the battery up as I always connect the positive last as Bill suggests and no hint of a spark. It must of been more of a steady draw building heat until the meltdown. I ordered another new ammeter and will try again but I am for sure gonna fuse. Ralph


~ Rasman
1971 Chevy C10
"Old Yeller"
Saga: "'Old Yeller' ... More than a Pristine 1971 Chevy"
1959 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Legacy Gallery