Interesting point Stuart as the horn relay was the only addition to the electricl system this week when I put the new wheel and horn push on and hooked up the relay. And the power for the horn relay comes via the voltage regulator from the + side of the ammeter. The ammeter has double spade terminals and on the + side ,one terminal feeds the voltage regulator (and ultimately the horn relay) and the other spade on that side feeds the headlight switch. All of that wiring was fine.
I gave that some consideration as it is the "last" thing I worked on before the meltdown but wonder why the other side of the ammeter would fry? The horn relay hooked right up and works fine but perhaps I created high resistance and it lead to failure on the - side?? Seems goofy though as the horn was not being pushed and was working fine. I do suscribe to the idea that the last thing I messed with is suspect but just can not see what I could have done. Ralph