As you know there are several choices of fuel filters, all will work. It's just which do you like best?

Here is mine [IMG]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/69/469/8/51/15/2511851150080251109zVHxRf_th.jpg[/IMG]
and another view: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2978141630080251109CuCAEU
It has a brass screen that is removable and cleanable, and is easily viewed to see how much dirt, or water, is in it. I would be looking in junk yards and swap meets for one, even if you find the fuel pump for a different engine but with the filter as part of it, you should be able to interchange the filter casting part to your pump, like I did.

To remove an inline filter you can do as you said with a hose and clamps, or make a new steel fuel line, or possibly buy one already bent to shape.

I have an inline glass filter with cleanable screen on my 28 Chevy car, got it at the auto parts store, but I don't particularly like it, not sure exactly why, as it does work, but I guess I don't trust it to not break... The rounded design of the glass bowl on the fuel pump is very strong, by mistake I have dropped it and others like it, no problems, seems to be pretty tough.

Grigg

Last edited by Grigg; 06/01/2008 8:43 PM. Reason: add links

•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-