Another thing to consider is cross winds. I pulled home two 1 1/2 tons, one at a time with my '02 3/4 ton Silverado. The 41 was on a trailer, and the 42 with a tow bar. The trip was from Western Nebraska, about 310 miles each way (both from the same location).
No way, would I ever put a big bolt on a trailer without brakes, let alone pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck. As far as handling goes, I had a lot better luck with the tow bar. The '42 was driveable, but all the braking had to come from my Silverado. Even though Nebraska is mostly a flat state, it was still pretty risky.
With the '41 on the trailer, it was white knuckle driving all the way (brand new heavy duty trailer with brakes on both axles). Their was a heck of a North-South cross wind, and I was headed East. Going down hills was the worst, it really wanted to get squirrely. The 41 didn't have an engine or tranny, and it filled up the whole trailer, so I couldn't get the weight distributed right. In hindsight, I probably would have been better off loading it backwards.
I agree, a one ton or bigger dually would have been a much better tow vehicle.
I wouldn't do it, especially with a 1/2 ton.
John