Woody ,
I would think "Conversion Coating" would be the stuff that been around a while ya spray or brush on and it converts rust to a black coating .
Om my 52 I had some nasty surface rust around the windshield where the gasket was holding water & being I couldnt blast it ...since I didnt have my Cab stripped , I cleaned it up as best I could by sanding , I then used Eastwoods Rust converter it is a 2 part system ya mix 50/50 as much as you need & brush it on , the rust turned to a hard black finish after that cured I brushed on there Rust encapsulator all around the gasket area ...came out really nice ! . I hope that it will keep it sealed and I WONT HAVE ANY FUTURE PROBS.
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!