Czechman,
I feel for you man, not just 1 year ago I was sifting through all this and trying to figure out what to do on my axles and frame. I finally decided to call Eastwoods and use one system from one company. I used their rust converter, and Chassis Black. After wire wheeling my axles I applied the rust converter which looked great. Then I dropped a metal bar on the axle and the rust converter chipped like glass right to the metal! I took a screwdriver and lightly tapped other parts and the stuff chipped off way too easily. I called and had conversations with different people at Eastwoods and one guys said I should not have put the rust converter on bare metal even though it says it on the side of the product can! Anyway, I was very frustrated and depressed, that was a lot of work that had to be redone! I decided to continue to work with Eastwoods because it could have been my fault (maybe I didn't prep well enough or mixed incorrectly) and they were good about giving me a refund. They recommended that I use Epoxy Primer on the bare metal. I am extremely happy with the results. That stuff is tough. I used the Extreme Chassis Black for a top coat. It looks good and it adheres well to the primer, but if you drop a wrench on it, it will chip. But not to the metal just to the epoxy primer. Here is a link to my project: 1955 Chevy 4x4 NAPCO
I have found that it is best to learn by trying, failing and trying again until it works. I'm good at this, believe me!