One item to consider if folks wanted to duplicate my existing megasquirt/EDIS (ford wasted spark ignition) setup then the tuning part becomes a whole lot easier - I have a running/driving tune up which I'd be happy to share. If you know how to post a picture on the internet, then you can install this tuneup file into a meagasquirt. It really is that easy.

As far as special tools need to install a system - if you know how to find TDC using a degree wheel and a positive stop thats as hard as it gets.

Know how to read a digital volt meter for volts and ohms? Its my main piece of test equipment that I use if I run into a problem.

You only need to set the base timing once with a timing light - the rest is done from the laptop.

Tuning - even folks that have never tuned an EFI system before - within 30 min's they have enough confidence to take over and dial in a basic advance and fuel curve.

Unlike the early days of tuning where information was tough to find and was not shared its change a lot.

These days the only time I'll use a carb is to break in a flat tappet cam motor that I DO NOT have a viable EFI tune up for. It just gotta fire and run. Once the cam breakin is done the carb come off permanently. If its a roller cam motor then I can afford to get the EFI dial in sinceI won't wipe the cam out.


Back to the question at hand though - what is it going to take to get enough interest if EFI is really not your thing?

Originally Posted by J Lucas
This engine does have my interest. I would also be more interested in an old school conversion for this engine, as noted earlier, possibly with a single Holley carburetor and without a computer.
Although, if the complicated parts could be simplified, it would be tempting to at least consider an EFI set up. ohwell

Sure sounds like a heck of a lot more fun than the usual V8 set up. But, as for now, I am just reading your post's and sort of thinking out loud (online even). But if you seriously think about it, this could very likely be the next rave.

John

Last edited by efi-diy; 02/13/2008 2:43 AM.