In my current SLURP psoting related to engine choices, Scott Danforthwas kind enough to again draw my attention to the Vortec 4200 inline 6 that makes 290 crank hp in FACTORY STOCK trim, and suggested again that Iseriously consider it for my project. When I again objected to the need for a computer, sensors, and harness, he follwoed up with information by email to me on a shop that has done a CARBURETED version. This has led to what I consider an exceptional potential opportunity. Let me explain.

I called that shop. I would name there here, but I think forum rules forbid anythign that sounds like advertising, so bear with me a moment.

The shop has indeed built a handful of these engines - but for dragracing use. They have done both carbureted and injected ones. The strongest one makes 1400 crank horsepower (that's not a misprint - one thousand four hundred hp). In additon to being raced, it was actually run on the street in a Chevy stationwagon for 5000 miles!

The owner of this shop is intrigued enough that he would like to build one for his personal use, in a mid 1980s Chevy pickup truck!

So, we have a shop that is both capable and interested in this incredible engine.

There is a problem though.

They are VERY busy. Therefore, they are not sure that they want to take the time to build the onwer's personal one,or one for me, or anyone else. They are ging to think about it.

What I told them I would want is 350 to 400 crank hp. Glen, the owner I spoke with, says you can get close to 350 just by using a dual exhaust and changing the fuel delivery, and no other mods.

Here is why I am posting: I figure if it's just Glen and me intersted in one of these, that's not a business case for the shop to do anything about it. BUT, if a bunch of you guys are potnetially interested, that could change everything, as the shop could then justify the prototyping and production time.

Soooo,

IF you have any SERIOUS interest in a modern, very lightweight (430 lb)carbureted Chevy inline 6, double overhead cam, insanely good fuel mileage, that could use EITHER a Chevy HEI ignition or an MSD plu-and-play that retains the coil packs / camshaft snesor/crankshaft sensor ignition setup, I need you to PM me so that I can give you the shop's phone number, and you can add your voice to the "market demand" that the shop could see if they proceeded with this idea.

I figure if enough of us ask for their help, they'll consider either complete engines, or at least 4-barrel manifolds and MSD ignition kit, as offerings.

Let me know if interested.

Jim G