Grigg,

Seems the Henry Maudslay guote in your signature suits this thread well.

As for which wheels to run, well I think the Budds look more natural on your size and vintage of truck. My 1946 (now 42) project is very similar to yours using the P30/3500HD chassis components and a diesel (I'm using a 5.9 Cummins, though). My goal is to have the performance and drivability of modern components, but have the outside of the truck look basically stock (restored), to make it into a unique and functional working truck. So, the Budds would look more stock.

But, then again, I also like the looks of the Daytons because they just look "beefier". Also, the Dayton adapters will certainly be a conversation piece. I'm not sure I helped your decision any--it's more a matter of your preference. I would think either would perform well as they're both time-tested designs.

I assume if you use the adapters, you'll just machine the center hole larger? Do you know when they switched from 4.75 to 5.25?

Also, if you decide to part with the 22.5 Budds, please let me know. I was planning to use the 8R19.5's from my P30, but the wheels seem to have an extra "curve" that just doesn't look quite right. And, the extra height of the 9R22.5's will help my gearing dilemma. Before you posted yours, I didn't even know they made 22.5's for the small 10 lug pattern.

Anyway, congrats on your find!!

Bob