My "oil pump" woes have been resolved... thanks to all who helped out.

Anyway, I think you "Shop Sharks" are gonna kick my old-truckin' arse because I figured out that my "oil pump" noise was actually my ALTERNATOR . (!!!!!!) It was still charging, altho not without faults, but the bearings sounded like tortured marbles.

I feel like a big doofus. But that sound WAS coming RIGHT thru the bottom of the oil pan, right by
the pump. I guess the noise was conducted thru the bracket to the block and on to the pan. I guess
when I listened to the alternator with the dowel, the noise of the "marbles" overpowered any
"whirring/woowoooowoo" noise that was plain to hear from ten feet away or when I touched the
dowel to the bottom of the oil pan.

As soon as me and my helpful buddies unhooked the belt, the noise disappeared. I'm embarrassed,
but happy. I have a great local shop (B&W Auto Electric, Cleveland, Ohio) that rebuilds 'em for $39. (they didn't have time this morning to do mine (saturday) but sold me another they rebuilt for 10%
off the regular $49 price. I am happy. B&W also does starters, while you wait!)

I guess I live up to my title of "Apprentise Wrench Fetcher."

Jerry Mann


REQUIRED READING: Truck, by John Jerome
(aka "The Book of Truck")
Zen Trucking