I have a 65 chevy c10 longbed stepside with a 230 motor...
I THINK I have a noise coming from my oil pump. the noise is a whirring/woowoooowoo kind of sound, not unlike a water pump noise. the noise showed up about a week ago. I pinpointed the noise using a wooden dowel and it is loudest at the oil pan right next to oil filter, but the noise is the same loudness as I move the dowel across the pan from left to right. I cannot detect the noise with the dowel anywhere else.
One opinion I gathered is that if the pump were going I would not have any oil pressure. Sort of all or nothing. but I DO see oil being delivered to the valve cover (I can see it when I remove the oil filler cap and look in, while running). Also, my oil dummy light IS functioning and not coming on except when I start or stall.
Another said my oil light will only show low LEVEL but not tell me anything about pressure until its too late.
I am wondering if the noise is something else like the engine bearings.
any input, suggestions for diagnosis, and wisdom, is appreciated.
jerry mann