The mechanic did use a drill when he checked the oil pump. My manual is for a 49 and the engine is a 54, so I can't really compare how they are oiled, I can see there is a difference because on mine the oil connecter comes up from the head circles under and around to the top of the shaft, is held in place by a bead of solder(?) and then the line appears pinched off. This looks different from the engine in the manual.
I had hoped that I would have a truck that ran at least roughly, while I learned everything I could about how it runs, stops, steers etc. But I also want to keep this truck for a long time, not to show but to drive and have fun with and I knew at some point I wanted a freshly rebuilt engine, I guess I was just hoping it wouldn't have to be now. At this point I don't have a clue about where the reputable places are to do that around here.
As far as the engine on ebay, Columbus isn't really to far to drive. If that would be a good way to go.
I still need more guidance guys. Repair, rebuild, replace?
More thanks--Michelle