When I picked up my '47 panel I was told it had a 350 from a '73 in it. It didn't run very well, but I figured it could use a good tune-up. As I got to know the truck, it leaked oil just about everywhere on that engine, and the block numbers said it was a 267 V8 from a '79 or '80 Malibu or Camaro. The carb and distributor, though, are older styles than what that engine should have. My guess is, that it really was a '73 350, and when it died the PO picked up the cheapest thing he could find, cobbled it together with parts fom both engines and didn't waste any money on new gaskets. To top it off, there are holes torched in the inner fenders and frame to get the A/C (now defunct) and exhaust plumbed in.

Bad enough I couldn't have the original 6, but the SBC was a cobbled up mess anyway.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)