I learned how to change tires by hand from a guy that did "road service" for big trucks. He was a state champion arm wrestler, and all those muscles came from changing tires. He is the only guy I have ever seen that could throw a 10.00 x 20 tire with a rim on over the side of a tri-axle dump truck from the ground.

One day I stopped by the yard where he was changing the tires on a garbage truck. He bet me $10.00 that he could change the tire by hand in less than a minute.

I was stupid enough to take the bet.

When the clock started, he said "Let me know when 15 seconds are up" and just stood there waiting...

After 15 seconds he proceeded to take the old tire off the rim...

Once the tire was off, he again said "Let me know when 15 seconds are up" and just stood there waiting...

After 15 more seconds, he proceeded to install the new tire, air it up, and re-install the valve stem and cap...

He finished in a total elapsed time of 55 seconds, whereupon he took my ten dollars and went and bought us all a coffee at the Diner next door to the yard. (There were five of us there that morning) I stood there slack-jawed in amazement.


IRWIPI 2005 Peoples Choice
Inky,
"It's not that I haven't done IT... It's that I haven't done IT yet."

--------------------
'48 1-1/2 ton Dump
'57 Chevy Panel
'59 Chevy 2 ton Dump