Well Andy, here goes...
One night when I was in high school a bunch of us went to a Friday night high school basketball game in another town. Our team, the Pirates, thoroughly trounced the opposing team of another school in another small town twenty or so miles away. Not being on the team we didn't have to ride the bus with the team & coach. We rounded up a few borrowed cars for the little trip.
In our excitement during the ride back to our town two drivers decided to race back to town to get a good spot at the drive-in. Since the borrowed, family autos we were using weren't much on speed and the road wasn't too good, the drivers decided to drive back with each car side by side, one in each lane of the two laned road just for the heck of it. Somebody got the idea that doing that wasn't interesting enough so off went the headlights. That still didn't satisfy everyone so, open went the doors with outstretched legs & feet holding the doors all the way open, so we could, "catch some air", like one genius said. We could see the road pretty well because of the bright moon light until we got to a spot in the road where there's big oak trees on each side of the road with their branches almost touching over the roadway...out went the moonlight, on went the headlights, in came the legs & doors & back & behind went someone's grandmother's Buick from the wrong lane back again behind us in the right lane.
I wasn't one of the drivers, I'm glad to say. That was pretty stupid driving at night with no lights, with two cars, side by side, one in the wrong lane. Dumb! I couldn't believe what these guys had done. All I did was to come up with the idea about, "catchin' some air"!
The hamburgers at the drive-in tasted extra good that night.
Just a few weekends later, I think it was...the sport of running board "Skiing" was invented in our little town.
