I looked at some pics of when I was working on the rear axle and brakes. I'm no expert, but it looks like if the axle seals leak maybe the gear oil gets directed to the outside of the hub, away from the brakes? But don't the drums cover that hole? Not sure how it works.

Edit: Looks like the rear drums do have a "drain" hole that should line up with the hole on the axel. Maybe it is a drain? I believe I ran a small wire brush through it to clean mine out before installing the axles.
Attachments
IMG_9108a.jpg (106.79 KB, 182 downloads)
IMG_9111a.jpg (74.64 KB, 179 downloads)
IMG_8902b.jpg (136.74 KB, 125 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 10/12/2025 2:00 PM. Reason: Edit picture

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!