Hello all,
My next project on my newly acquired 1950 Chevy 3100 is the parking brake. The brake doesn't work in two ways: one, when the pedal in engaged, it does not stay engaged; two, when engaged, the actual brake shoes are not (wheels still rotate).
I had some time this past Sunday, so I lifted the rear end and took a look. I was able to determine immediately that the cable mechanism is working. I then tried to adjust them and on one side there is room to adjust but the rust is so bad that the yoke or clevis won't rotate any further (I tried lube and a steel brush). I was able to adjust it a couple of rotations which was enough to stop the wheel from spinning, but I could still rotate the wheel by hand if I tried really hard. On the other side, it is at the end of its adjustment.
The pivot "arm" that both sides connect to has a spline on each end, so it seems that if the bolts could be loosened, one could rotate the connector on the spline to provide more adjustment. I'd rather not go this route because getting those bolts off is going to be difficult (rusted, tight space to work with) and I am guessing this is more about the cables just being old and stretched out.
So, I have no problem spending the money to replace the cables, I am just not confident when looking online that I am getting correct replacements. The closest to what I need seems to be:
PARKING BRAKE CABLE-1/2 TONMy main concern is that it lists it as 41 1/2 inches long which seems too long to me. From what I can tell, it should be about 36 inches long.
I've attached photos of each side.
Okay, the pedal engagement issue. I can't quite figure out how it should work. If I press the metal piece that the brake release is connected to, I can kind of get it to hold the pedal down, but it doesn't "stick". Is there something missing here? All I can think is that either something is worn or maybe there should be rubber grommet on it? I don't know. I couldn't find anything in the workshop manual.
So, any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you!