Guess I'll step in here. I purchased stuff from HF and use all the time. Amateur home use though. I also have tools I inherited from Dad and of course they are US made and the best. The old stuff is just good.
Now due to my location the nearest HF is a 100 miles away so I only go there when I have to be in the area for work.
Consequently I'm limited to Cummins traveling tool carnivals. They come in one day and move on to the next little burg. But they're great to deal with. I purchased a 3/8" click torque wrench about a year ago and just tried to use it the other day for the first time. It wouldn't adjust, just spun. At the same time I purchased their last big vice from the floor. It was missing one of the chocks on the bottom that hold pipe(someone forgot to tighten the bolt holding it on).
So yesterday I'm crusing home and there they were in Graceville. So I popped in and explained my situation. The manager said bring them in and they would make it right. So I drove to the farm and returned with them and they replaced no questions asked with new stock. Can't beat that.
And of course I bought some stuff; I was there.

Some deep impact 1/2" sockets to finish out my selection and a load leveler for the engine hoist. (the engine hoist came from Advanced Auto sale, $150).
The cheap stuff is good for the home guy. Its does make the diffence between a project being affordable and not even getting started.
I think it all comes from the same place in china.
Wade
PS I have a Goodyear Racing engine stand that came with a 350 I purchased. And other than pretty 2 color paint(blue/yellow) and decals I can't see a difference from the HF, Craftsman or Cummins stuff. And it probably cost double what the HF one is.