Suggestion: I put up a new horsebarn two years ago and did the wiring myself. 53 4 me did the plumbing and let me tell you; this guy can plumb! He definitely knows his stuff.
One of the things I didn't want was to see a light left on in the barn so I located at least one switch to every light fixture in the whole barn next to the door that leads up to the house. The idea was to avoid having to run all over the barn turning off lights. I used three ways and single poles where appropriate and it has paid off in spades. Now as you close up for the night, you can kill every light in the place from the door. If you have to run back down because someone did leave a light on, you need only get to the door to turn it off.
Rats nest?