Originally Posted by Joe H
Best advice I can give is, make sure everything is tight and in good working order, kingpins, wheel bearings, steering box, and tie-rod ends. Steering boxes or pretty crude, simple gear on gear with heavy steering ratios so any movement from the front feels like a lot in the steering wheel. The '41- "46 boxes have a higher ratio 19.8: 1, so it takes more turns lock to lock, but it makes for easier turning and bumps don't feel nearly as bad. I drove my truck for 15 years with the '37 box, the '41 box made it much nicer to drive.

I don't know if you can adapt a newer box or not on the '36 frame, but you want to change something, that's where I would start.

Play with the drawing and see what you come up with, but remember, the pitman arms makes almost an 90* arc lock to lock.

Thanks again Joe! What I may do is just make two different length drag links and experiment with it a bit to satisfy my curiosity. Everything will be new and tight, except for the steering box. The axle is fresh from Sid's with new kingpins. Tie rod and drag link ends brand new, and brand new roller bearings. I may very well be talking about a bumpsteer problem that doesn't even exist. I'll find out when I drive it with all the new stuff. All of this just crossed my mind as I was measuring for drag link length and I started pondering this stuff.

Did you adapt the '41 box to your '37 steering column, or replace the entire thing? I do have what I believe is a '38 steering column and box, which is a little longer than my '36 and could be moved forward, but it doesn't sound like that would be worth the effort if you're saying the '41-'46 made your truck much better. Might as well pick up the later box if I'm going to do it.

Last edited by RBs36; 01/27/2025 1:29 PM.