Originally Posted by 78buckshot
The steering gear center high point will dictate the angle of the pitman arm. I don't know how your pitman arm is keyed to the steering gear shaft but you may be able to choose a different angle. When I rebuilt the front axle on my truck, I replaced the drag link due to worn ball/socket ends. I bought an adjustable drag link with the correct tapers and adjustability in the original length. I centered the steering gear with no drag link connected, centered the front wheels, then adjusted the drag link to fit the distance between the pitman arm and the steering arm.


Perhaps I should have mentioned that my pitman arm is splined the entire way around. Moving it one spline at a time moves the end of the arm where the drag link attaches approximately 1". I know some pitman arms/steering box shafts have several wide, flat indexing splines which locates the pitman arm angle to a specific angle, but mine is not like that. I can put it wherever I want, which is why I was considering making the new drag link shorter than stock. But before I do that, I want to figure out if that would make bump steer better or worse.

Last edited by RBs36; 01/26/2025 4:13 AM.