Originally Posted by JW51
Could it be that easy? What am I missing?

It is that easy but not with a roadkill raccoon resurrection approach. I see no improvement or benefit with this exercise but if I was a farmer with only a Harbor freight drill press, no parts availability and had to make something work I would do the following:

!. Buy some precision ground ¾” 4140 alloy steel shaft. See here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/p...ance-multipurpose-4140-alloy-steel-rods/

My purchaser has sourced precision ground 4140 heavy wall tube so I know it’s out there but drilling lengthwise may be more economical/timely.

2. Drill/tap shafting as required for needle bearings/stands, etc.
3. Mock up parts to insure no further machining on shafts is required.
4. Uniformly heat shaft until at least dull red approaching bright red being careful not to scorch the surface.
5. Toss the shaft in a pail ( metal) of used oil and leave it there until cool.
6. Polish the surface with emery cloth.
7. Confirm with your metallurgist that they’re similar in hardness to Superman’s kneecaps.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube