Originally Posted by dgrinnan
I have been considering tackling my first paint job on my 54 (after a lot of repairs). Now my confidence is starting to fade. Who new paint was such a science? Ambient temps, substrate temps, length of the air hose, dryers, filters, "oh my".
I hadn't painted a vehicle since the '60's when I started on my current project. Got epoxy from NAPA (Martin Senour PIP302) and got good results from that (FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTION SHEET). And PPG ALK-200 finish coat from Jim Carter. It's good for 5' away, and I haven't done any polishing yet. I've painted close to 50F, which is the lowest that the instructions say and it's worked out well.

I say go for it. I'll second what Mark said.

Originally Posted by dgrinnan
Maybe on second thought, Maaco, here I come. eeeek
NOOOOOOO!!!!!
Years ago, a friend had a pickup painted by Earl Scheib (a forerunner of Maaco.) It wasn't even a 100 footer, as they even got paint on the tires, failing to mask them off. I don't recall how it lasted, but I suspect it started falling off the truck after a year or so.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.