Originally Posted by No1300
I used some of my Grandchildren’s “Play-Doh” instead of bread, easy clean up and worked well to remove my pilot bearing.
Have to say there was zero clean-up with bread either, but sure I get that Play-doh would work - might argue peeling all the Play-doh out of the orifice could be more (?) challenging than bread.
But more than one way to skin a cat and can't argue with what worked,
Originally Posted by No1300
Was it necessary to use a tool to ensure the seal in the timing cover was centered around the harmonic balancer before tightening the timing gear cover to the engine?
I did not remove my timing cover - wasn't any need to in my case
But I can certainly appreciate that the procedure you describe would indeed be valuable if the cover had been removed/loosened up.


'51 Chevy 3100 Truck - OEM 216 Engine; three speed column shift transmission
6 Bolt disc conversion with dual master/vacuum booster
12V alternator conversion.
235 engine in waiting grin