Originally Posted by D’Ecosse
The other question is regarding the hole mod for the timing plate:

The drawing suggest 1/2" hole - the bolts I understand are 7/16" carriage - so I presume the 1/2" holes reflect clearance for the square 'carriage' section
So ideally I should really drill 7/16" holes and file square if I want the anti-rotation capability of the carriage - yes?
It must be hard otherwise if you use a carriage bolt - or do you use a regular hex bolt and get a wrench on it BEFORE installing the Balancer (in which case, why not still 7/16" hole?)

My ‘59 235 was already installed when I bought my ‘52. When I rebuilt the engine, I found my plate was drilled round. “Pre ‘68 Dave”, on his website shows the plate having square holes. Maybe he could elaborate if he sees this post. Here is a link. http://chev235guy.blogspot.com/search/label/Timing%20Plate%20Drill%20Template


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum