I have watched a lot of Utube known pros, including some on here. I have never seen them repair with anything but welding. As usual, it's good to supply all opinions to someone. I know it ruffles feathers to say this is the "only" way. I will explain: there are lot's of discussions on here about all kinds of things. As an example, jerry and I disagree on 6V and generators, I like 12V conversion and alternator and give a list of why. Neither of us is right. Both ways work. There is no structural, no rust, no budget issues, no extra tools to buy. Not much skill or learning curve in our difference of opinions. It's electrical junk. We just campaign for our preference.

I assume a person with rust issues wants the tried and true best way to fix. Yes it takes welding, None of us knew how to weld when we started. Mig can be learned fairly quickly. Many, many post on Mig welding sheet metal in Stovebolt. If you have a project truck, there will be plenty of rust repair to do. Not to mention other non vehicle welding. A used Mig will not break the bank. A 120V is plenty good enough.
Yes, there are budget ways to mitigate rust out. You can put a lump of some kind of compound or fiber over or inder it that may stick up lumpy. That way takes thickness to be viable. Fiberglass reinforced filler and epoxy filler are used over a welded repair all the time in an effort to prevent cracking or reaction to finishes.

I don't want to get into structure of other ways than metal. As a mechanical design engineer, I am a metal guy. We are not repairing a boat or are we a quick and dirty body shop. We are not trying to save money on rust repair. Buy a welder or get someone to weld. There's ONLY ONE way to fix rusty metal. Everybody knows that. You can invent other ways and give stories about how long they last. But what is the point? Avoiding welding? Avoiding the right way? Shlop around with gluing rather than a weld? Goodness me. If you just want to "plug" a hole, get some of Phil Swiffs Flex Seal "As Seen On TV". As you can see even Carl doesn't screw road signs to the floor anymore. He welds. Hi Carl wave....just kidding

It is up to anyone to do what they think is best. I will say that......Robert?......Robert?.........


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn