Hi again everybody. I've been busy with non-car related things so haven't had a chance to do any more investigating until today.
Coilover, your suggestion makes sense and I may have to buy an electric pump and make a setup like that.
Anyway, the fuel pump appears to be providing enough fuel. Acc pump gives healthy squirts when goosed.
Whne the engine starts and idles normally, goosing the throttle induces a bog to near stalling until the throttle is let off. The engine then resumes "normal" operation and begins to accelerate if the throttle is gradually pressed.
While peering into the carburetor while running it looks like the engine is getting plenty of fuel. in fact, when the bog/near stall/backfire occurs, there seems to be plenty of fuel spraying into the throat from the jets.
Can the engine be getting too much fuel to cause a flood? Would a flood situation also cause the problem I'm experiencing?
In case you're wondering, the bog situation occurs during normal acceleration while driving, not just in the garage when the throttle is opened up.
FYI, newly rebuilt mechanical glass bowl fuel pump is installed.
Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 08/26/2022 6:06 PM.