The man in possession of this truck is quite savvy and a good friend of mine, he has been trying to use this to get my 1953. He buys and sells lots of old cars and trucks. Part of the purchase is the negotiation game. He knows more or less what he is in possession of and that his price to me makes him $600 (or so he says) and is still a third of what was put into the truck in cold hard dollars (too much).

How do I know it is a 39?
1939 -One year only dash
two piece window with crank out
1939 grille

There is no ton rating on the title which I have seen. And as I said before I don't care what the ton rating really is as far as the frame is concerned, it has a 10 lug 2 speed rear end at this point in time. I just want to know how to shift the 2 speed rear end so I don't lock it up as I keep reading lots of novices do on this forum. If I can swap the non synchro 4 speed for an SM420 without any real modifications?
And what else I should look out for as my experience has been limited to 48 and up light duty.

I called him and got the vin, its a 1.5 ton 133 inch wheelbase, here's the vin 1VB054674

Chris