I use a small in-line throwaway filter just in front of my gun. That's all I have other than a filter separator right at the compressor discharge. I haven't gotten to finish paint yet, so haven't worried about having perfectly dry air. I may add air dryer capacity when I get to finsh paint.
A friend built an air dryer using fintube like what is used on baseboard heating. He ran about 20 feet of the stuff in-line right after the compressor with a drain trap at the bottom of the rack. The idea behind that is to cool the air as much as possible, then drain the water out. The colder the air gets, the more water can be wrung out of it. Another important thing is to have the piping sloped to points where moisture it can be drained.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.