I might have found the smoking gun. I checked the front motor mount and it was near hitting in the back where I could see it. In was only able to slip a .015” feeler gauge in between. I never checked it with the weight of the motor on it so I removed the front mount bolting, loosened the rear engine mounts, exhaust manifold to pipe flange and jacked the engine up enough to remove the mount. I milled about 1/16” off of it and reinstalled. I set the engine down on the mount and remeasured. Just over 1/16”. Perfect!
I also noticed that the washer that is bolted to the engine that is under the rubber mount was too big hitting the metal dish that holds the rubber. I chucked the washers in my lathe and cut them down so they won’t hit anymore.
I was looking at Denny Graham’s post on the front motor mount and he talks about a fat washer sandwiched between the mount and the frame. This wash was nonexistent on my truck. There also shown in the Factory Assembly Manual on Section 6 Sheet 12.
Can any of our fellow “ Stovebolters” tell me the OD and thickness of these washers?
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum