| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,080 Posts1,056,295 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 | Buy a tach and earplugs. The 3600 came with 15" wheels. Seventeen-inch wheels were RPO XXX with the same 4.46 gear. You could do that with stock hubcaps or buy 19.5 alloy wheels and tires that are tall and skinny. You might even find some 19.5 steel wheels in a wrecking yard somewhere. Just watch the offset and stay around 0"
I run a 3800 w/ 5.13:1 gears. The auxiliary trans has a 17% overdrive which effectively makes the ratio in overdrive about 4.30:1. I have 255/85 x16 tires. They're like 32.5 inches when new. In overdrive the engine spins at 2800 RPM at a calculated 60MPH. I've used various fans over the years including electric (don't bother) and presently have a high-pitch 16" six-blade off some mid-sixties Chev 2-1/2 ton. I have just learned to live with the fan noise. Like Jerry said, buy ear plugs. When you get old like us you'll be glad you did.
BTW I put a Crower cam in it, high lift, 220 duration at 0.050 lift. Gas mileage improved about 30% with just that change. With the stock cam you'll be so far over the torque peak at highway speed that there just isn't any fuel economy. I did the same thing to my Norton motorcycle with the same result -- 42mpg to 55Mpg with a cam change. The Norton doesn't pull hard below about 3000 RPM but then, watch out. The 235 chev will pull smoothly from about 1200-1400 RPM but comes on full song about 2500 or so. I never turn it over about 3300. 1951 3800 1-ton"Earning its keep from the get-go"In the DITY Gallery1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971. | | |
| |
| |