Hello fellow Stovebolters! I'm new to the forum as I just inherited an all original 1954 3600 from my granddad. The truck was purchased new by him, has 70k original miles and was used as a farm truck its whole life. It's "farm fresh". It's been unused for 20yrs and with a few new parts and elbow grease I have it up and running. I've attached a picture for your viewing pleasure! Now time for the question....

As you all know, and I've recently learned, the 3600 has the Eaton HO52 rear end with 4.57 gears limiting its "comfortable" top speed to 45-50mph. After rebuilding the front end I'm looking I be able to cruise on the highway at 60mph (ideally 65-70mph if I replace the rear end). I've been looking for the elusive 67-72 4.10 C20 pumpkin without much luck so I'm considering switching gears and replacing the rear end. I ran across a local complete rear end with torque tube (w/o brakes/hubs) from a 1954 3100 which I believe has the 3.90 gears. This would allow me to install an even higher gear (3.55) relatively easily to get to in the 70mph range. How compatible is the 3100 rear end with my 3600? Would I be able to use reuse my 8 lug axles and drum brakes (just rebuilt) from the Eaton rear end? I'm not against switching to the 6 lug but Id prefer to keep the 8 lug to stay as close to original as possible. If using a 3100 rear end isn't a good option, what is? Any help and direction is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
20200727_085534.jpg (196.83 KB, 85 downloads)